In the early days of webdesign, we were the guys who could draw a pretty skin for websites. Then the usability and UX revolution came, and we learned how to create easy to use interfaces, with iterative design and user testing. With UX we became a more important part of the product team, because we can help people to understand the product, and use it more often. It is a huge added value compared to a nice skin.
The new UX design trends: what to design?
Now that we are the guys who know the audience well, we should also tell what to build. What are the products and services that people really need on a given market? After usability comes the usefulness. Product design should mean more than the way we design a function. The most important part of product design is to find out what to design. What are people’s problems and needs? How can we find people’s pain points? How can we identify these needs? If we can answer these questions we can generate more business opportunities. And that is the next big thing in design. To have a more strategic effect and help our businesses to build better products based on real human needs. UX strategy, service design methods and Google Venture’s design sprint are a few answers to that question, but we don’t have a clear method yet.
This thing is the most important from the ux design trends I see now, and I’m happy that at UX studio we are already working on these issues. We do a lot of interviewing and field research, competitor research and UX strategy workshops.
We will talk about these questions in 2017
- Research will have even more important role, but it is not enough to check the design’s usability, we should discover people’s problems and needs too.
- Until now we just gave advice about how to design something. From now on we should also talk about what to design.
- Design will have even more added value, and designers will be more respected and more important players. That also means we have to care more about organisational and communication issues. You often need to change the organisation if you want to build a great product. Building a product design team and establishing design culture is a good example.
- Designers will have to learn how to talk about strategic questions and take part in making the big decisions. We can’t keep our mouth shut any more.
- Product people, and managers on different levels should listen more to their designers, and let them use these new methods. We know our customers better and we are ready to create a huge competitive advantage for the company. Let us do that.
- Designers have to find a way to articulate our added value. It’s a problem for the whole design community. Besides the trendy look and feel (which is still a must have) we have to demonstrate how else we contribute to a project.
What do you think will be the 2017 UX design trends?
I’m curious about your opinion, please share it with us in a comment. We will discuss the upcoming ux design trends of 2017 in detail later, so follow us on Facebook or Twitter to get updates. Also, learn more about the latest digital marketing trends in 2017.