Our team of one designer and one researcher started the redesign process with a one-month ideation phase backed up with preference tests.
Main issues to work on (as explored in the discovery phase)
- The too powerful presence of the main character, Professor Max.
Why work on this? The character can confuse the potential users.
- Very colorful and childish design.
Why work on this? The app is not aimed at children.
- Children’s tale-like storyline.
Why work on this? A too detailed storyline can make users believe that the lessons are not serious enough.
We wanted to receive answers to three main questions from our testers
What kind of app is this?
Who the target audience of the app?
What impressions did the screens give you?
Five Second Testing
3rd iteration: full redesign with the story
With enough feedback on different ideas, we were able to start the full redesign.
- We brought back the storyline, but with a more clean design.
- We changed the professor to an explorer character to fit the story better.
Most of the testers said they thought this was an app for language learning for all ages. They said the design felt friendly, clean, and calm.